PLAINTIFF’S REPRESENTATION IN INSURANCE MATTERS
Orr | Cook is a premier litigation law firm that serves businesses and individuals throughout Northeast Florida. Our lawyers have almost 100 years of combined experience in trial, arbitration, mediation and settlement negotiations. We also counsel companies in risk management plans that help prevent conflicts.
Our Firm is well versed in issues related to insurance. Attorneys Giovanni Stewart and Michael Fox Orr started their professional careers in insurance defense before expanding their practice. Their insight into the way insurance companies work helps our team prepare strong cases when handling either side of a dispute involving:
- Auto insurance
- Homeowners’ insurance
- Construction insurance
- Title insurance
- Liability insurance
- Health insurance
- Business-related insurance
PLAINTIFF REPRESENTATION IN INSURANCE CLAIMS
An insurance company is a business with the goal of maximizing profits and reducing costs. Unfortunately, some companies engage in unfair practices in order to accomplish this objective at the expense of their policyholders. Our Firm represents plaintiffs in cases involving:
- Bad Faith — The insurance company has a duty to conduct a timely investigation and valuation of damages and to pay the policyholder in a reasonable amount of time for a legitimate claim. Failure to do so violates the Florida Insurance Code. We assess whether the insurer acted in bad faith when it denied a claim or delayed in making a decision or payments.
- Coverage — The insurance company enters into a contract with the insured. In exchange for payment of premiums each month, the company agrees to cover damages as specified in the policy terms. When the insurance company refuses to perform under the contract, the policyholder may have a cause of action.
- First Party Liability & Property Damage — Policyholders often assume that their insurance company is acting in their best interest, but this is not always the case. An insurance company may attempt to minimize payouts to its policyholder to improve its bottom line. Our attorneys pursue the maximum possible coverage from the injured party’s own insurance company for personal injury and property damages.
- Third Party Liability & Property Damage — An injured party makes a third party liability or property damage claim against the policyholder’s insurance company, rather than her or his own policy. We negotiate for the best possible settlement, often with great resistance from the insurance company and the defendant. If the third party insurance company refuses to pay the money our client is entitled, our attorneys are prepared to litigate the matter in court.
An insurance company must comply with federal regulations and Florida law. In addition, the company is obligated to abide by the terms established in its contract with each policyholder. Despite complying with these duties, insurance companies often face these common issues:
- Fraud — Dishonest people view insurance as a means of banking a substantial windfall. However, insurance fraud costs taxpayers, not just insurance companies, by diverting law enforcement resources and raising premiums for other policyholders. Our Team helps insurance companies fight against fraud and recoup losses suffered in insurance scams.
- Coverage Disputes — The type and amount of coverage a policyholder is entitled to depends upon the terms of the individual contract. Commonly, an insurance company and policyholder do not see eye-to-eye on this issue. Our attorneys defend companies against claims not covered by the policy. We also review policy language to ensure it is in compliance with regulations and protects the company’s interests.
RESOLVE YOUR INSURANCE DISPUTE WITH THE HELP OF OUR JACKSONVILLE LEGAL TEAM
For more information about resolving an insurance dispute, call Orr | Cook at 904.358.8300 or contact us online.